Sunday, August 7, 2011

All Fired Up

What a fun day I had Saturday with my niece Abby. She'll be eight in December.
We had a "girls day." I take her brother Nicholas and her cousin Clay to Atlanta Braves baseball games every summer, but Abby's not much of a baseball fan. So I was looking for something fun that we could do together.
What I found was a great store near Emory University called All Fired Up, a pottery painting store.
Each of us found a plain piece of pottery to paint.
Abby found this cute little kitty.
Abby and her kitty
And here is Abby painting her pottery.
The artist at work
Here is the finished product, before it is glazed and fired at All Fired Up.
The nearly finished product

Abby's kitty and my sun plaque

The sun plaque and me
I plan on hanging my sun plaque in my garden.
I've had loads of fun with my nephews here in Atlanta at baseball games. Here's the proof.
Me and Nicholas, riding out a 2-hour rain delay in 2010
Clay and me, 2011 game
My cancer treatment ended my chance at motherhood, so the time I spend with my niece and nephews is the closest I will ever get to the joy and sorrow of being a parent. I wish my brother lived closer because I have two younger nephews that don't really know me and it breaks my heart that I can't do the same sort of things with them that I do with my Atlanta families.
It is days like yesterday that make me smile, even now.
Pizza, pottery and a panda is how my day with Abby went.
Once I got her home, she and I ended up making a teddy bear together from a Build-A-Bear home kit. It was the first time Abby had ever sewn anything and I am so glad I could share that with her.
Although when we missed a pre-punched hole and had to take out several stitches she asked me, in all seriousness, "That was your fault, right?"
Ha! I suppose it was. ;)
We got it right in the end, and here is the new bear.
Abby, me and the new panda bear
As I was leaving last night, Abby wrapped her arms around my waist and held on tight.
"I am not going to let go of you," she said.
Abby, I'm not going to let go of you, either.

1 comment: