Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Sixth State

I bet you didn't know Missouri is the sixth state.
Well, for me it is.
See, a few years ago on a trip to visit my sister in New York, I signed up to run the Komen Race for the Cure 5K in New York City's Central Park. It was a hot, humid run -- not the lovely mid-September weather I was expecting in New York. I think that year I brought the Atlanta weather with me.
But that run, in a new state, got me thinking how I'd like to run a 5K in every state.
That's a very ambitious goal, and I'm not really sure I will actually achieve it, but it sure is fun trying!
So the recent trip to Kansas City was not only to visit my former college roommate Patti and her family, it was also to walk the Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Missouri with Patti and her daughter Erin, thereby checking off Missouri on my running bucket list.
If I have friends or family with me who do not run, I walk the 5K with them. If they are willing to do it with me, I'm willing to slow down a little. ;)
Patti, Erin and Lisa

Patti and Lisa
The walk started at Union Station and went through some beautiful and recently revitalized areas of Kansas City.

Along the Komen Race for the Cure Greater Kansas City
In another month, I will be able to check South Carolina off of my running list.
The tally so far, in the order I've completed a 5K, is: Florida, Georgia, New York, California, North Carolina and Missouri.
Patti and I are already thinking about doing a Komen 5K walk in Houston so we can visit and reconnect with another college friend we haven't seen in years, and we've talked about doing one in Kansas and Colorado. I think Erin might even come along for the fun of it if she can.
I've got friends and family all over the United States, so I'm hoping to get Washington, Minnesota, Ohio, Arkansas and Nebraska at some point. Alabama and Tennessee are nearby and I may try to get one or both of those in the next couple of years.
As I said, I may not be able to run or walk a 5K in all 50 states, but it sure will be fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment