Monday, June 20, 2011

Leo Tolstoy's hospital stay

Well, if you really want to catch up on your reading, sit in the waiting room or a patient's room of your local hospital.
When my father was still in the emergency room being treated for his initial injuries, I drove home to put the packed lunch away and grab some things from my parents' house -- namely my Mom's Kindle and my Anna Karenina tome.
Oh my gosh did I get quite a bit of it read in the past few days. There was really nothing else to do. Dad would doze off a bit, or he might watch a little TV. But he was really in too much pain just to carry on a conversation. So Mom and I just sat and read our books.
And really what I'm getting is that Anna Karenina is like any other Harlequin romance. Well, without the heaving bosoms and swelling manhoods. But there is love and lust and marriage and infidelity and broken hearts and romantic misunderstandings and meddling friends. It's your basic soap opera set in Russia.
Father's Day weekend also turned out to be a bit profitable for the piggy bank.
The drive to my parents' house is four hours, mostly along Interstate 20, so I usually stop and grab a McDonald's hamburger Happy Meal along the route. It is the only time I eat McDonald's. I so rarely eat fast food, but get the Happy Meal with the sliced apples instead of fries and the whole meal is under 300 calories!
I went to sit down at a table, but the air vent was blowing right on me and I knew I would be cold, so I moved to another table and found four pennies on the floor by that table. :)
I found a quarter in the Wal-Mart parking lot after shopping there with my mother. I found two more pennies somewhere else (a store parking lot).
And tonight on my running route, I found two more pennies!
Maybe I should send all of that back to my parents to help them pay for this hospital bill. I don't even want to think of what that is going to cost them, and they are both on Medicare.
So Leo and I are quite an item now. I'm not quite half way done with Anna Karenina. I'm not sure that after I finish the book I'll want to read War and Peace. I think something shorter and lighter will be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment