Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer fun at Summerfest 5K

What a hot, hilly run this morning.
This was the first time I've run the Summerfest 5K in the Virginia-Highland area of Atlanta. I've run other races in that community, and I know how hilly it is. A friend posted on Facebook about the hills and I replied "but at least we'll have great looking calves!" Yep. My calves are chatting about those hills from this morning.
I've been nursing a running injury for a few years now -- one that kept me from running for about six months a couple of years ago.
So it has been fun, and surprising, to have run the number of 5Ks I've run this year so far. I've run at least three 5Ks a month. For me, that is a lot. Normally I just run one or two a month.
But in a way, it has been lots of fun, too, because I've run with several different friends and running buddies.
This morning, I ran with my friend Michelle. Here we are pre-race, looking fresh as daisies. :)
I don't know if Michelle would appreciate my posting the post-race photo. We no longer look "fresh as daisies." To preserve our friendship, I'll keep that one on the desktop.
The other nice thing about the Summerfest 5K was because it was before the festival actually started, as I walked back to my car, I could visit the early artists and vendors, without the huge crowds I'm sure are there right now. No, I won't be hearing the bands, etc. But it was nice to be able to leisurely walk up the street and see the beautiful and interesting art that was for sale today. I hope the artists do well this weekend.
This might be a race I do again next year. Just don't tell my calves.

No comments:

Post a Comment