Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Power of Motown

This morning was the Magnolia Run, a 4-miler that benefits the Epilepsy Foundation of Georgia.
It is a great race to serve as a tune-up for the upcoming Peachtree Road Race on July 4 in Atlanta. The weather conditions are about the same and the conventional wisdom in running is, if you can make 2/3 of the distance goal, you will be able to make it across the finish line. Since the Peachtree Road Race is a 10K, or 6.2 miles, today's 4 mile run is a great way to test stamina.
I will say I have struggled post-cancer treatment with my running. I've watched my running times get slower and slower. Some of that is injury, which I always wonder if chemotherapy didn't help along. You can't put that much poison in your body and not expect that all body parts are affected -- not just the cancer.
During some of this spring's 5K races, I have struggled between miles 2 and 3. But today's race reminded me of why I enjoy running so much. It was a nearly effortless run.
I got to the first mile and didn't need to take a walk break. I got to mile 2 and realized I was having a really good race.

Somewhere between miles 3 and 4 of Magnolia Run
Between mile 3 and 4 there was a little more walking on the hills, but not much. And I finished the race strong. Not just praying to cross the finish line, but really giving it some kick.
And I owe it all to the power of Motown.
Knowing my running play lists are set for a 5K (which means the music runs out at about 38 minutes), I made a new play list for the Magnolia Run, consisting of all Motown hits.
Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, the Jackson 5, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, all helped me keep my legs turning. I defy you not to walk or run a little faster when you hear "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."
And guess what I found on the route? You guessed it, another penny!
This one is a little more than road worn. :) You can't really tell which is heads or tails.
Penny found on Magnolia Run
I guess it will spend just as well as a new one. I found a dime in the grocery store parking lot two days ago. That went in the piggy bank, too. I'm not a purist. Found money is found money.
So the rest of the afternoon will be spent running errands and getting ready for a friend's son's graduation party. But there may be a little more spring in my step today. For I have found the power of Motown.

No comments:

Post a Comment