Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Summer of Leo

I read a lot of books. I like fiction, non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies. And at least once a year I want to read a classic.
So this year I dragged -- and I do mean dragged -- "Anna Karenina" off my book shelf. I'm not quite sure where I acquired this tome. Seriously,  736 pages. One of those old-fashioned faux-leather books that is more a show book than a well-worn best seller book. More adept at pressing flowers or using to bench press than to read.


But here I am, 61 pages into a Leo Tolstoy classic. I've read plenty of classics -- and not just because it was required reading in high school or college.
On my own I've read "Crime and Punishment," "Frankenstein," "Dracula," "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn" (I personally rush to read any book that someone wants to ban). And in the past couple of years I've read "Innocents Abroad" and "Gone With the Wind."
I must say there are some parts of "Anna Karenina" I am enjoying. Leo Tolstoy's use of language. I found it ironic that in the first chapter one of the main characters is caught "carrying on an intrigue" with the French governess. This just after a certain former California governor was caught "carrying on an intrigue" with the housekeeper.
I was intrigued by the use of the term intrigue. I guess no one had affairs in Leo's day. They just had intrigues. :)
And I added another cent to the "found money" piggy bank today. I had run into Saks Fifth Avenue to get a free sample of a cosmetic. Ironic that I should find money outside an upscale department store.
Even though I was not running or exercising when I found the penny, I count it as found money and it is going in the bank. I shook the bank last night. There's enough in there to make noise.
And now, for more of Leo. I might take me all summer to uncover all of these intrigues. I hope it will be well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I found a penny at the gas station today and thought of you! You are a brave woman to tackle Anna Karenina. I'm still listening to Jane Slayre (Jane Eyre with a vampirish twist).

    ReplyDelete